I decided to fit an AE71 K50 gearbox, they are the same as the Starlet gearbox but with a bellhousing to match the 4A engine. Swapping the rear section of the box allowed the gearstick to come out in the original position, I was able to use the original prop shaft, and gearbox mount. Just had to get the clutch disc from the AE71/AE85 4AC engine.
Because I was running the car on carbs the wiring was pretty basic. Again, all work was carried out in my garage.
Some minor rust repairs!
Too Much Power
My aim was to have running gear that could take the abuse of a bit of drifting comfortably without worrying about breakages!
I made up a jig with a standard Starlet axle and used that to make new mounts and line them up for the English axle.
Numerous broken half shafts and a bust pinion gear!
Putting a Stop to it!
There's numerous company's doing Wilwood brake kits including T3 and GRP 4. I decided to make my own kit. I used Wilwood forged Dynalite calipers, Honda Civic EG 262 mm front disks, custom braided lines and custom brackets.